disAbility Advocacy Specialist
disAbility Resource Center, a Center for Independent Living, located in Wilmington, NC is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to provide advocacy, both individual and systems advocacy, to people with disabilities as a disAbility Advocacy Specialist. dRC is led by and for people with disabilities and promotes full participation in the community life through peer mentoring, education, advocacy and empowerment. This part time position is a key position in a 3 year grant with the Rape Crisis Center of Coastal Horizon Center. This project will focus on violence and abuse against people with disabilities. The role of the disAbility Advocacy Specialist is to provide our 4 core services and specifically advocate for victims of sexual violence/abuse. This will include direct services to the consumer/victim, education, awareness and training programs to other businesses and partners in the collaborative and bring about system wide change in the handling of these situations.
- Assist in the development of program policy and procedures related to the project, this includes but not limited to development of needs assessment, strategic plan and project implementation.
- Provide intensive technical assistance to domestic violence, sexual violence, mental health, and disability organizations related to disability advocacy and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Nurture and maintain communication with staff from domestic violence, sexual violence, mental health, and disability organizations
- Manage the ongoing day-to-day activities of the project and other programmatic tasks as needed
- Complete project reports as required
- Deliver presentations and trainings to other partners and business as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling or other related course work
- Minimum of 2 years previous work experience working with people with disabilities or personal life experience as a person with a disability
- Strong interest in disability rights
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely through writing
- Ability to collaborate with others from a diverse background
- PC Literate, experience with computers and internet databases is required
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Ability to travel statewide and out of state on an occasional basis for required 2-3 day trainings
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Sign Language experience is highly desired.
dRC is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply, and every effort will be made to provide all necessary accommodations.
Compensation/Benefits: This is a part time position with holiday, vacation and sick leave benefits only. Compensation is dependent upon experience with a minimum starting wage of $15.00/hour
To apply, please email (email@example.com) or mail to the address below the following by Friday, January 17th:
- A cover letter with salary experience, a description of your experience working with people with disabilities and an assessment of your qualifications, characteristics and experiences making you suited for this position.
- An updated resume.
- The names and contact information of 3 professional references and 2 personal references.
- Applicants without all the requested information will not be considered.
Please no phone calls.